Download the PDF for more information
- Standardized Extract – Laboratory Tested, Quality Guaranteed (1% Ligustilides)
- Superior Nutritional Tonic for Women *
- 500 mg Dong Quai (Tang Kuei) root extract – Vegetable capsule
- Botanical name: Radix Angelicae Sinensis Pin Yin: Dang gui
- 60 – Vegetarian capsules / Dose: 2 capsules daily. Take with warm water or tea. May be taken with food or between meals.
What is Dong Quai?
Dong Quai has been called the “female ginseng” and is an excellent women’s herb. It has been used for centuries in China for maintaining a healthy menstrual cycle. Dong Quai can help to build blood, maintain bowel regularity, relieve dryness, and improve general well-being. Dong Quai also helps to improves blood flow throughout the body*. Dong Quai (sometimes referred to as Tang Kuai) has been used in Asia for thousands of years as a tonic for the female reproductive system. In fact, it ranks just below ginseng as the most popular herb in China and Japan*.
How does Dong Quai work?
Most of the actions of Dong Quai depend on the presence of coumarins, phytosterols, polysaccharides and flavonoids. Dong Quai helps to promote uterine health and regulate the menstrual cycle. Coumarins dilate blood vessels, stimulating the central nervous system and increasing blood flow throughout the body. They may also relax the smooth muscles of the uterus, which would help to explain the herb’s traditional use for menstrual cramps*. Dong Quai is known as a beauty tonic. The herb has been found to benefit the complexion by improving circulation in the skin and by detoxifying, thus helping to clear blemishes. Dong Quai has also shown an inhibitory effect against many bacteria including hemolytic Streptoccoccus and Shigella. *
*Health benefits of Dong Quai
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, Dong Quai has been used to help balance Blood and Chi in the body. In TCM, where there is an obstruction of Blood, there can be dis-ease and Dong Quai works to restore balance*. Dong Quai helps skin tone as it enriches the blood and improves circulation. Dong Quai is an important herb for women whose skin is sallow, dry and lacking a healthy glow. Astragalus is often used in combination with Dong Quai to further improve the circulation of Chi and blood in the skin making it more supple and healthy*. Dong Quai’s reputation as a female tonic rests largely with its ability to balance PMS and the menstural cycle, and for its benefit to the skin and circulation. The herb’s long-standing popularity for benefiting menstrual cramps has been ascribed to its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic actions. Dong Quai works best for stressed women who suffer hot flashes but are generally chilly. Dong Quai will help warm the woman and also help support the liver chi*. Dong Quai also helps to improve blood circulation, nourish body fluids, counter fatigue, and balance blood pressure. As a rich source of vitamin B12, Dong Quai may play a role in stimulating red blood cell production. It may therefore indirectly boost energy and lessen fatigue by increasing the number of red blood cells transporting oxygen throughout the body*.
If you are taking an anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medication or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (such as ibuprofen), check with your doctor before trying Dong Quai as it will have additive blood thinning and anti-inflammatory properties. Dong Quai also contains substances called psoralens that can react to sunlight, especially in fair-skinned people. Dong Quai may have a mild laxative effect, and menstrual bleeding may increase when taking Dong Quai. Stop taking Dong Quai if a skin rash or photosensivity develops. Don’t take Dong Quai if you are pregnant or nursing. As with all herbal and dietary supplements, you should always inform your physician about what you are taking in order to avoid potentially dangerous drug interactions*.
- Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica Revised Edition, Compiled and Translated by Dan Bensky & Andrew Gamble, with Ted Kaptchuck, 1993 Eastland Press, Inc.
- Hormone Balance – A Woman’s Guide to Restoring Health and Vitality Carolyn Dean, MD, ND, 2005, Adams Media, Avon, Massachusetts.
- Radiant Health – The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs, Ron Teeguarden, 1998, Warner Books.
Satisfaction Guaranteed. All of our Herbal Fortress® products are Laboratory Tested according to the highest GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) standards in the industry. Each batch undergoes stringent quality controls and are all laboratory tested. Freshness and Quality is guaranteed. The lot number and expiration date of each product is imprinted on the front panel. Each product is packaged in a light-protective bottle and safety sealed with outer shrink wrap and printed inner seal. Do not use if either seal is broken or missing.
All products are 100% Vegetarian and free of animal products, wheat, dairy, corn, soy natural or artificial sweeteners, salt or yeast. Encapsulated in Veggie caps.
* The statements contained herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The information contained in site is intended for education, entertainment and information purposes only. This information is not intended to be used to diagnose, prescribe or replace proper medical care. The plant information described herein is not intended to treat, cure, diagnose, mitigate or prevent any disease. Please refer to the Disclaimer and Conditions section of this site for more information.